Since my squeeze’s new favorite oatmeal involves pumpkin, I was sure to scoop up several cans during post-Thanksgiving grocery store sales. But the other morning I decided to do something more with it and quickly googled a recipe for vegan pumpkin pancakes.
I ended up adding a little more water than is recommended to make slightly thinner cakes and added 1-2 Tbsp. of sugar since so many of the reviews said they needed it. I was going to go with molasses, but apparently I’m out! I like that, for this recipe, you don’t have to come up with an actual egg replacer too.
This recipe made at least 20 pancakes — it would be a perfect recipe to use if you’re having a bunch of people over for brunch. They were easy and filling, not too heavy and not too sweet or pumpkiny. I had about 10 leftover (after D tasted mine, he had to have Breakfast, Part 2) and I wrapped them up in foil packets of two, so we could just grab one, unfold it and nuke them for the pup before school now and again. She loved them and had no idea she was actually getting some nutrients in her pancakes!
I’ll definitely make these again.
• 2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
• 2 1/2 c. water (I added about another 1/3 to this too)
• 1/2 c. soy or almond milk (I used plain, unsweetened almond)
• 2 Tbsp. baking powder
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/2 c. mashed/pureed pumpkin
• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp. allspice
• 1-2 Tbsp. sugar or other sweetener
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar (or white if you need to)
1. Combine almond milk and vinegar and set aside for about 5 minutes, allowing it to curdle. This is like using buttermilk — and the same thing I do for banana muffins.
2. Stir together pumpkin, spices, water and soymilk in mixing bowl. Add in remaining ingredients until just moist and stop. Let it sit for a bout 5 minutes, then stir again and let it rest a few more minutes before cooking.
3. Cook on a griddle on medium heat — I found that to work the best for the most even cooking. They are delicious topped with Earth Balance Buttery Spread and whatever else you normally enjoy on pancakes!