My good friend Jay made this recipe and said they are crazy good and she’ll never buy refried beans again — that’s what I call a glowing review. I haven’t made them yet, but I had to share. It’s a Mark Bittman recipe, if you know who he is (he knows how to cook everything and tells us so). I have black beans in the cupboard, so I might have to whip up a batch of black refried beans, yes?
• 2 cans pinto beans rinsed
• 2 Tbsp. butter
• 1/4 c. chopped onion
• 2 tsp. cumin (or to taste)
• 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
• salt and pepper
1. Melt butter in a frying pan, add beans. Mush using a potato masher, fork or the back of your spoon until you get the consistency you like.
2. Add onion, cumin, cayenne and salt and pepper. Continue stirring until the onions are a little tender. I added a little water to thin it up a bit since it was hard to stir.
3. Eat! I ate mine with salsa, sourcream and tortilla chips. No more canned refried beans ever again, these are way good… I bet you could add garlic or really anything else you want.