I’ve made these for a client and my own family this week — they are delicious. I made the vegan version for my family and that is what’s photographed above. The store was out of the “cheddar style” Daiya vegan cheese, so I got the mozzarella style version and it was still delicious. This recipe is really easy to make too. Enjoy!
• 28 oz. can of whole, peeled tomatoes
• 2 tsp. chili powder
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 Tbsp. canola oil or other high heat oil
• salt and pepper
• 1 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 medium potato, grated
• 2 tsp. oregano
• 2 c. cheddar cheese or vegan cheese
• 8 flour tortillas
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced/chopped
Preheat oven to 450
1. In a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes, chili powder, half the onion, 1 Tbsp. oil, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper or until smooth
2. Heat 1 Tbsp. of remaining oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion and cook until softened, 3-5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Add black beans, sweet potato, oregano and salt and pepper (about 1/4 tsp. each). Cook, tossing frequently, until sweet potatoes are cooked, about 5 minutes.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly. Stir in 1 c. of cheese.
5. Spread one cup of tomato sauce in bottom of 9×13 pan. Roll up bean mixture in the tortillas (about 1/2 c. each) and place seam side down in pan.
6. Top with remaining tomato sauce, cheese and green onions. Bake on top rack of oven until cheese is belted and bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes.