Hello! It has been far too long since I’ve posted a REAL post. I’ve been crazy busy with Fresh Chef Detroit (a good problem to have, no doubt!) and have a handful of half-posts started. I’d really like to get back to doing at least one every few days. Here’s a quick one…
Just like many of the people who hire me, I come home after a day of work hungry and often reach for something less than healthy while I decide what to “really” eat. In an effort to curb that, I whipped up a feast yesterday that I intended to help feed us throughout this week. It has been less than 24 hours and these already are gone. But they were easy enough that I just might have to make more tomorrow. 🙂
They don’t necessarily stick together the best (which often is the case with homemade burgers like this), but a little more time in the oven, or a little time quickly fried in a skillet could have helped this. The flavors were great though. I ate mine dressed like a regular burger, but you could also really push the southwest flavors and top with salsa and guac. My squeeze even had one with hummus on it tonight — the possibilities are endless!
Makes 4-5 large burgers
• 1 (16 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 bell pepper (I used red), cut into 2 inch pieces
• 1/2 medium onion, cut into wedges
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled
• 1 egg or egg replacer for 1 egg
• 1 Tbsp. chili powder
• 1 Tbsp. cumin
• 1 tsp. Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
• 1/2 c. bread crumbs
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty. 3. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic (or just finely dice if you don’t have a processor), then stir into mashed beans. 4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.6. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.