Here’s a take Michelle did on Chef Roberto Martin’s Vegan Pot Pie after he was on “Ellen” for our second Cooking Club gathering at Grace’s abode.
She called it a “pile o’ pie problem,” but even though it may have been a bit messy it was DELICIOUS. This recipe must be easier than any meaty version, and I imagine a meat-eater wouldn’t even miss it.
Michelle’s version, below, is only slightly different from the original recipe (which includes “Gardien” chicken scallopini).
1.5 T olive oil
2 c. diced onion
1 c. diced celery
5 tsp. minced garlic (I love garlic!)
4 Tbsp. flour
1 ea. 10 oz. bag frozen peas and carrots (or whatever you like)
2 c. veggie broth
2 Portobello mushrooms sliced length-wise
1 pkg. Pillsbury pie crust (2 crusts)
Melted vegan butter as needed
Preheat oven to 420
1. Using a small stock pot, heat oil and saute onion and celery until translucent.
2. In a separate pan, saute the mushrooms with garlic and olive oil until well cooked.
3. Add garlic to celery/ onion mixture and sauté two minutes more.
4. Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until well incorporated.
5. Pour in stock and stir. Simmer until filling has thickened.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add frozen vegetables and mushrooms and stir.