This one comes from Angela, who made it for Cooking Club Season 1, Episode 2. She made it with mini grilled cheeses. It was delicious!
3 ½ c. water or broth
1/3 c. soy sauce
1 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp olive oil
2-3 tsp minced garlic
1 small red pepper, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (I have used fire-roasted and the kind with basil/oregano in them)
½ cup chopped fresh basil
1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp cornstarch
Freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot and add onion. Saute until softened and add garlic and red bell pepper. Saute 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add salt, pepper, diced tomatoes, and water/broth, soy sauce, and onion powder. Stir often, bring to a boil.
3. Reduce to low heat and add basil and vinegar.
4. Remove from heat and puree soup with immersion blender to desired consistency.
5. Return to low heat. Blend cornstarch into just enough water to dissolve without lumps and stir into soup.
Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes and remove from heat.
6. Serve with freshly squeezed lemon juice and feta cheese stirred into individual bowls.
This can easily be halved if you only want 2-3 servings. As written, it makes 5-6.